With recent memorandum to pause Express Entry invitations to Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) and Canadian Experience Class (CEC) for next few months, we explore various options for foreign workers to continue to work and build their path towards permanent residency in Canada.  

Each Province and Territory have their own unique programs to hire foreign workers. Saskatchewan introduced Hard-to-fill Skills Pilot for entry level foreign workers, outside of Canada, to apply for work permit. This program targets labor shortages in health, manufacturing, agriculture, hospitality and retail. This is also an opportunity for low skilled to entry level foreign workers to enter Canada for permanent residency.  

Alberta introduced Immigration Nominee Programs Accelerated Tech Pathway which provides expedited processing to foreign workers who are currently working for, or have a job offer, with an Alberta-based tech employer in an eligible tech occupation. This list of occupations include engineers, mathematicians, medical technicians, graphic designers, and more.  

Additionally, International Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) contain provisions to facilitate, on a reciprocal basis, temporary entry for business persons into Canada. Eligible persons entering under an FTA will generally require a work permit, but are exempt from a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Chile, Peru, Columbia and Korea FTAs contain provisions similar to the Canada–United States–Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), formerly referred to as NAFTA, which grant temporary entry to 4 categories of business persons: business visitors, professionals, intra-company transferees, and traders and investors.  

The Canada-European Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) also contains provisions which grant temporary entry to business visitors, professionals, intra-company transferees and investors. The Agreement on Trade Continuity between Canada and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (CUKTCA) contains provisions that are the same as CETA.  

Based on each individual’s education and experiential background, we can assist with the best possible option for work permit, leading eventually to permanent residency in Canada. At NPZ Law Group, our U.S. and Canadian lawyers seek to assist clients with regard to employment and family immigration issues. If you or your friends or family should have any questions about any aspect of the Canadian Immigration Law, please feel free to contact us at or you can call our office at 201-670-000