New Jersey Canadian Immigration Attorneys

Canadian immigration programs provide numerous opportunities for individuals who wish to visit Canada temporarily and permanently. Canada continues to introduce new programs and refine the existing ones with goals to improve economic outcomes of entering immigrants, better respond to labor market shortages, and desire to spread new immigrants evenly across Canada.

Ways to come to Canada to visit, study, work or live.

Economic immigration programs: Most people who successfully apply for permanent residence are chosen through Canada’s economic immigration programs.

Express Entry: The first step for most economic immigrants is to submit a profile under Express Entry. In the profile, the person receives ranking points based on their language ability, education, skills and experience. Every two weeks, the candidates with the most points are invited to apply for permanent residence in Canada.

Provincial Nominee Program: Provinces (except Quebec) nominate the immigrants they would like, based on criteria they set that address their own needs.

Start-up Visa Program: Entrepreneurs with business ideas and the support of Canadian investors can become permanent residents and launch their business here.

Caregiver Program: Individuals who have gained experience working in Canada providing in-home care to children, or people with high medical needs, can apply for permanent residence.

Family Class immigration: Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor loved ones to join them in Canada. This includes spouses and common-law partners, dependent children, parents and grandparents.

Opportunities for living in Canada on a temporary basis: In addition to the opportunities to apply for permanent residence, there are also many avenues to come to Canada on a temporary basis as a tourist, worker, or student.

International Students: Canada has one of most generous programs in the world for international students. Canada’s excellent academic institutions currently host more than 400,000 international students. While studying here, most students can gain work experience and, upon graduation, can continue to work in Canada for up to three years. With experience studying and working in Canada, many students apply to immigrate permanently.

Temporary workers are also welcomed each year through Canada’s work permit programs. Like students, thousands of workers gain the experience they need in Canada to then apply for permanent residence. Opportunities to work temporarily in Canada include:

Temporary Foreign Worker Program: Employers who haven’t been able to find Canadians or Canadian permanent residents for the jobs they have available can get permission to hire workers from other countries for nearly any type of job.

International Mobility Program: Some people can be hired by employers without needing permission due to the benefits they will bring to Canada. This includes researchers, certain business people, and professionals, workers with specialized knowledge being transferred by their employer to Canada and others.

International Experience Canada: Young people from countries that Canada has agreements with can apply to come to Canada for a working holiday, an internship, or an experience as a young professional.

Contact Our Business and Family-Based Canadian Immigration Lawyers

At NPZ, our U.S. and Canadian Lawyers seek to assist clients with regard to employment and family immigration issues. If you or your friends or family should have any questions, please feel free to contact us at or you can call our offices at 201-670-0006 (x 100). We look forward to being able to assist you.