What Are the Requirements for a Foreign Media Representative Visa?

Pursuant to the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), representatives of the foreign information media may come to the U.S. as foreign media representatives by obtaining an I nonimmigrant visa. In order to receive such a visa, however, certain eligibility requirements must be met. Let us take a moment to discuss these requirements.

What are the Requirements for a Foreign Media Representative Visa?

If you are a representative of a foreign media information media outlet, whether it be press, radio, film or some other form of media, seeking entrance into the U.S. for the sole purpose of engaging in this profession, and have a home office in a foreign country, then you may be eligible for the I Representative of Foreign Media nonimmigrant visa. A representative for a foreign information media outlet may be a reporter, a member of a film crew, an editor, or someone in a similar occupation. Additionally, it should be noted that a spouse or unmarried child under the age of 21 may accompany a foreign media representative granted an I visa.

It is important that an applicant for a foreign media representative be a bona fide representative of foreign media. The applicant’s job activities must be essential to the function of his or her organization. The consular officer at the U.S. embassy is tasked with determining whether an activity will qualify the applicant for obtaining a nonimmigrant visa. Applicants for an I visa must be able to substantiate the claim that their activities hold great value to their employing organization. Their activities must be for informational purposes as opposed to having a commercial motive. Due to this, activities that are not reliant on gathering information and reporting on actual events taking place within the U.S. or one of its territories, will not be considered for an I nonimmigrant visa.

In order to apply for a foreign media representative visa, an applicant can go to a U.S. embassy or consulate having jurisdiction over his or her permanent residence. The application will initially be adjudicated by the Department of State, as opposed to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). As an aside, USCIS is tasked with adjudication of applications for I nonimmigrants seeking a change of status or an extension of a stay in the U.S.

A foreign media representative is only permitted to come to the U.S. to engage in his or her profession if he or she has the appropriate nonimmigrant visa. Even those citizens from countries participating in the U.S. Visa Waiver Program (VWP) or those traveling to the U.S. with a different type of visa, are not permitted to engage in their foreign media representative job duties without an I nonimmigrant visa.

Immigration Law Attorneys

If you should have any questions or need more information about the ways in which the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Laws may impact you, your family, your friends or your colleagues, please contact the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Lawyers at the NPZ Law Group – VISASERVE – U.S. Immigration and Nationality Lawyers by e-mailing us at info@visaserve.com or by calling us at 201-670-0006 (x104). You can also visit our Law Firm’s website at www.visaserve.com