USCIS announced that applicants filing for lawful permanent resident (green card) status are now able to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) or replacement card as part of the adjustment of status application process.

Previously, these individuals had to apply for a Social Security number at a Social Security office. USCIS is revising Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to include the additional questions needed to apply for an SSN or a replacement card.

“This expansion of our partnership with the Social Security Administration illustrates our commitment to operating our nation’s immigration system more efficiently to save applicants time,” said USCIS Director Ur M. Jaddou. “Eliminating unnecessary bureaucracy and optimizing collaboration across public-serving agencies is a key priority for this agency and the Biden-Harris administration.”

After approving Form I-485, in most cases USCIS will electronically transmit the data to the Social Security Administration. Upon receiving the data, the Social Security Administration will automatically assign an original SSN or issue a replacement card, as appropriate. This partnership with the Social Security Administration will not increase the filing fee for Form I-485.

This change to Form I-485 is effective immediately, and applicants can begin filing with the updated form today. USCIS receives about 576,000 Forms I-485 annually.

If you have any questions or require more information about US Immigration and Nationality Laws, contact the NPZ Law Group. If you have more questions on how Immigration and Nationality Laws in the US may impact you and/or your family, you can get in touch with the lawyers specialized in US Immigration and Nationality laws at our Firm by e-mailing us at info@visaserve.com or you can call us at 201-670-0006 (x104). In addition to that, you can find more information on our website at www.visaserve.com