On January 10, 2022, Government of Canada updated document requirements for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). This Program allow students who have graduated from eligible Canadian Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) to obtain an open work permit and gain valuable Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience in National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0 or skill level A or B that is gained through the PGWPP help graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian experience class within Express Entry.

PGWPP applicants must meet certain criteria which are: completed academic, vocational or professional training program, at least 8 months in duration, at an eligible DLI in Canada; maintained full-time student status in Canada during each academic session of the completed program/s of study; and received a transcript and an official letter from the eligible DLI confirming that they have met the requirements to complete their program of study.

Exceptions to the PGWP criteria are: students who took leave from their studies after obtaining authorization from DLI; or students who obtained part time status only in their final academic session of the study program. Such students should provide sufficient documents proving their authorization to take leave from their studies, as per recent updates from the Government of Canada.

Within 180 days of the date of applying for the post-graduation work permit, applicants must also meet one of the following criteria: hold a valid study permit; held a study permit; or were authorized to study in Canada without the requirement to obtain a study permit under paragraphs 188(1)(a) and (b) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.

The applicants are highly encouraged to provide all the required documents and information to support PGWPP to avoid any rejection or denial of their applications. This becomes all the more imperative when the current processing time is slower than usual.

At NPZ Law Group, our U.S. and Canadian immigration and nationality lawyers seek to assist clients with regard to employment and family immigration issues. If you or your friends or your family should have any questions about any aspect of the Canadian Immigration Law, please feel free to contact us at info@visaserve.com or you can call our offices at 201-670-0006 (ext. 104). We look forward to being able to assist you.