The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) have issued ministerial instructions concerning the parents and grandparents multiple-entry temporary resident visa (TRV), also known as the super visa. The super visa provides a multiple-entry TRV to eligible applicants for up to 10 years, with periods of authorized stay for each individual up to 5 years on each entry to Canada, in contrast to two years earlier.

To be eligible for a super visa, applicants must provide: proof of their relationship to the child or grandchild (who must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident); proof of an immigration medical examination and of being admissible to Canada on health grounds; proof of private medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company valid for a minimum period of 1 year from the date of entry; and a letter of invitation written and signed by the host child or grandchild.

The applicant should also provide proof of financial support by the child or grandchild. This means that the child or grandchild who invites the applicant must prove that their household meets the low income cut-off (LICO). The Canadian or permanent resident spouse or common-law partner of the host child or grandchild may co-sign the invitation letter to meet the LICO minimum. The documents to support proof of financial support by child, grandchild, or co-signer includes: notice of assessment (NOA) for the most recent tax year; T4 or T1 for the most recent tax year; pay stubs; Employment Insurance benefit statement; an original letter from the employer; or bank statements.

Parents and grandparents who were admitted to Canada with a super visa counterfoil or super visa letter of introduction may apply to extend their temporary resident status in Canada beyond the initial period granted for their stay. At NPZ Law Group, our U.S. and Canadian lawyers seek to assist clients with regard to employment and family immigration issues. If you or your friends or family should have any questions about any aspect of U.S. and Canadian Immigration Law, please feel free to contact us at info@visaserve.com or you can call our office at 201-670-0006 (ext. 104). We look forward to being able to assist you.