International students are eligible for post graduate work permit (PGWP) if graduated from Designated Learning Institution (DLI), maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of study program and want to continue to stay in Canada to work temporarily. However, all DLIs are not eligible for PGWP.

Starting February 15, 2024, a longer, 3-year post-graduation work permit will be available to those who are graduating from a master’s degree program that is less than 2 years and who meet all other PGWP eligibility criteria. The length of PGWP for programs other than Master’s degree will continue to align with the length of the study program, to a maximum of 3 years.

Master’s degree for less than 2 years but min. 8 monthsYes
Master’s Degree or any other program for less than 8 monthsNo
Master’s Degree program for at least 8 monthsYes
Program at least 8 months but less than 2 yearsPGWP valid up to length of program
Program for 2 years or moreMay be eligible for 3 years
Completed more than 1 programPGWP with combined length of each program **each program must be PGWP eligible and at least 8 months in duration  
Current students in Public Private Partnership college programEligible for PGWP  
New students in Public Private Partnership college programNot eligible for PGWP

At NPZ Law Group, our U.S. and Canadian lawyers seek to assist clients with regard to employment and family immigration issues. If you or your friends or family should have any questions about any aspect of U.S. and Canadian Immigration Law, please feel free to contact us at or you can call our office at 201-670-0006 (ext. 104). We look forward to being able to assist you.