Study in the U.S. With an Academic Visa

How can I obtain an academic visa to come to the United States?

The United States has some of the greatest academic programs and institutions in the world.  Foreign students desiring to come to the U.S. to study can apply for an F-1 visa.  Thousands of schools across the nation are approved to accept foreign students as full time students.  Other options for students seeking to come to the U.S. include a J exchange visitor visa.  Our immigration attorneys at NPZ Law Group discuss your options for a student visa below.

F-1 Student Academic Visas

F-1 academic visas allow foreign students to study full time in the United States at an approved academic institution.  It is possible for F-1 visa holders to switch universities without leaving the country while their visa is valid.  Students are authorized to remain in the U.S. for as long as they are enrolled in school.  Students here on an F-1 visa are permitted to work on campus as long as they remain permanently enrolled in school.

To be eligible for an F-1 visa, you must be a foreign student coming to America to pursue an academic program at a school or university recognized by the U.S. government.  You must be a full time student.  You will need to apply and be accepted to an approved school before you can seek an F-1 visa.  Once accepted, you must complete all necessary paperwork for a visa. You may be asked to complete an interview during the visa application process.  Your immigration lawyer can assist you in preparing for this crucial step. 

J Exchange Visitor Program

Students looking to come to the United States on a shorter term basis may wish to explore the option for a J-1 visa, which is a part of the exchange visitor program.  Over 300,000 foreign visitors enter the U.S. annually on this visa type to experience Americans society and culture. J-1 visa applicants are often students that seek to study in private sector programs connected to cultural experiences.  Your immigration lawyer will help you to determine which visa is right for you and your family to come to the United States. 

If you’re a student and are thinking of applying for an J-1 visa, it’s best to have the help of a qualified attorney.  Our firm’s attorneys are experts in immigration law and have vast experience helping with J-1 visas, so if you have questions or would like assistance please call us today to schedule a consult with an immigration attorney at NPZ Law Group.