Securing a Visa For a Talented Artist, Performer, or Athlete: P Visas

What are the requirements to receive a P-1 visa?

With temporary visas becoming scarcer for immigrants due to new caps and tightened restrictions, artists, entertainers, and athletes may apply for a P-1, P-2, or P-3 visa to secure their lawful status in the U.S.  P visas are temporary worker visas that allow an individual to engage in certain kinds of work in the U.S. related to a unique talent or skill.  For qualifying individuals, a P visa can prove effective in allowing you to pursue your dreams in America.  Our experienced and client focused immigration lawyers at NPZ Law Group offer an overview on P visas and their eligibility requirements below.

P-1 Visas

P-1 visas are intended to bring outstanding athletes to the U.S.  To qualify for a P-1 visa, you will need to prove that you are an internationally recognized athlete in a particular sport. You will need to submit proof that you have contracted with a U.S. sports league or an internationally recognized event.  You will further need to offer evidence of your international recognition, which may include evidence that you competed on an international level, previous participation on a major U.S. sports team, international rankings, and the like.  A P-1 visa could potentially allow you to stay in the U.S. for up to five years.

P-2 Visas

P-2 visas are available for artists or entertainers who are coming to the U.S. to perform either individually or as part of a group, and who will perform as part of a reciprocal exchange program.  To receive this temporary visa, you must be an artist entering the U.S. through a government recognized exchange program.  A P-2 visa will allow you to remain in the U.S. for the amount of time needed to complete your performance or event, not to exceed one year.

P-3 Visas

A P-3 visa is similarly available to artists or entertainers, but it does not require participation in a cultural exchange program like a P-2 visa does.  A P-3 visa allows artists looking to enter the U.S. to perform, coach, or teach as an entertainer or artist in a “culturally unique” program.  You will need to include an itinerary with a list of events in your application, along with letters from experts in your culturally unique field who can validate your skill.  Your application must further document the cultural uniqueness of your intended performance.

Seeking any temporary visa can be a complex process and will require much documentation. If you should have any questions or need more information about the ways in which the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Laws may impact you, your family, your friends or your colleagues, please contact the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Lawyers at the NPZ Law Group – VISASERVE – U.S. Immigration and Nationality Lawyers by e-mailing us at or by calling us at 201-670-0006 (x107). You can also visit our Law Firm’s website at