Pursuant to section 25.2 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (the Act), Government of Canada adopted a public policy to grant open work permits to eligible residents of Hong Kong, whether they are in Canada or abroad, for a period of up to three years. Eligible family members may also be issued an open work permit. This policy is valid up to February 7, 2023.

To benefit from the policy, a foreign national must hold a valid passport issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) or the United Kingdom to a British National Overseas; must have graduated no more than 5 years before applying for this open work permit, with one of the following: a degree (for example, associate, bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral) from a designated post-secondary learning institution in Canada or an institution abroad; or a diploma for a minimum 2-year program from a designated post-secondary learning institution in Canada or an institution abroad.

In addition, the Government of Canada announced two pathways to permanent residence for eligible Hong Kong residents and their families, who are currently in Canada. There are two streams: Stream A: In-Canada Graduates and Stream B: Canadian work experience. Each of the two streams have an eligibility requirement in addition to the following: holds a passport issued by the HKSAR of the People’s Republic of China, or the United Kingdom to a British National (Overseas); has submitted an application for permanent residence with the applicable forms provided by the department in the application package for this public policy, or by the electronic means made available on the website of the department; has attained a level of proficiency of at least benchmark 5 in either official language for each of the 4 language skill areas; is physically present in Canada at the time when an application for permanent residence under this public policy is made, and at the time of granting of permanent residence; has a valid temporary resident status in Canada; and intends to reside in a province or territory other than the province of Quebec. This policy is valid up to August 31, 2026.

Based on each individual’s education and experiential background along with country of citizenship, we can assist with the best possible option to immigrate to Canada, temporarily or permanently. At NPZ Law Group, our U.S. and Canadian lawyers seek to assist clients with regard to employment and family immigration issues. If you or your friends or family should have any questions about any aspect of the Canadian Immigration Law, please feel free to contact us at or you can call our office at 201-670-0006 (ext. 104). We look forward to being able to assist you.