Moving to the United States from Canada

What is a TN and who is eligible to receive one?

The United States has always enjoyed a close relationship with neighboring Canada. If you are a Canadian wishing to relocate to the United States, you might be able to benefit from some of the unique immigration options for Canadians seeking to work in the U.S. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), the United States created a special relationship with Mexico and Canada. NAFTA allows for citizens of Canada or Mexico to work in the U.S. in prearranged business activities without the need to first obtain a visa. Our international immigration lawyers at the renowned law firm of NPZ Law Group explore some options for Canadians looking to live and work in the U.S. below.

TN Classification for Professional Work in the U.S.

One option for Canadians and Mexicans seeking to come to the U.S. is known as the TN. TNs are available only for Canadians and Mexicans. To be eligible to work in the U.S. on a TN, you must work in a profession on the NAFTA list. The list is extensive and includes such professions as lawyers, librarians, land surveyors, physicians, hotel managers, agriculturists, and much more.  Further, there must be an employer in the U.S. requiring a NAFTA professional. You will need to have a full-time or part-time job lined up with a U.S. employer. Further, you must meet the experience or education requirements for the NAFTA profession. Generally, applicants must have a Baccalaureate Degree to be considered.

Alternatively, Canadians may be able to enter the U.S. as a NAFTA Professional without a TN. A Canadian citizen without a TN may apply for TN nonimmigrant status at the time of entry. It is important to note that as of now, Canadians continue to benefit from NAFTA even with the newly revised United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement. 

U.S. Green Cards for Canadians 

If you are a Canadian or Mexican who does not hold a NAFTA profession or who wishes to reside in the U.S. you will need to obtain a green card. You will now be in a position similar to that of any other immigrant. You may seek a green card through a family petition, through investment, or through lottery. Please note however that the TN classification is a nonimmigrant work classification and you need to be very careful about applying for a green card as the underlying intent for the green card case contravenes the intent for the nonimmigrant TN Status. Consult with our immigration lawyers at NPZ Law Group for more assistance with immigrating to the United States. Our firm offers client satisfaction guaranteed and a very high level of client recommendations. Contact us for attentive representation by a team of knowledgeable Immigration and Nationality Law Professionals.