H-1B Nonimmigrant Work Visa Classification

What types of jobs may qualify for an H-1B visa?

The H-1B visa is a temporary work visa available to people in specialty occupations all over the world.  H-1B visa recipients are permitted to enter and work in the United States for a period of time, typically three years, after which time they can seek to renew the visa or return to their country of residence.  There are several types of H-1B visas depending on your occupation. To receive an H-1B visa, you will need to find a qualifying job sponsor in the United States. Our immigration lawyers explore the different jobs that might qualify for an H-1B visa below.

H-1B Visas for Specialty Occupations

H-1B visas are available to foreign nationals who work in a specialty field.  H-1B visas are intended to allow American employers to recruit skilled workers internationally to fill positions that may not otherwise be filled by local employees.  The Trump administration has vowed to crackdown on H-1B visas, making it more difficult for employers to secure foreign workers. The administration is seeking to limit the ability of employers to hire H-1B workers and then outsource them to other employers.

To qualify for an H-1B visa, you must either:

  • Hold a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree in your field from an accredited institution; or

  • Have a foreign degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree or higher in your field; or

  • Hold a state license, certificate, or registration that allows you to practice in your specialty occupation; or

  • Have training, education, or experience in your field that is the equivalent to completing a degree.

Occupations that may qualify for an H-1B visa include

  • Occupations in engineering, architecture, and surveying

  • Occupations in the physical sciences and mathematics

  • Computer science or IT occupations

  • Medicine and health careers

  • Occupations in education and research

  • Occupations in business management

These are just a few of the many specialty fields that may allow you to receive an H-1B visa.  It is important to note that the number of H-1B visas is limited and much competition exists to receive this type of visa. Contact an immigration lawyer right away to start the process of seeking an H-1B visa.

If you should have any questions or need more information about how the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Laws may impact you, your family, your friends or your colleagues, please contact the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Lawyers at the NPZ Law Group – VISASERVE – U.S. Immigration and Nationality Lawyers by e-mailing us at info@visaserve.com or by calling us at 201-670-0006 (x107) or by visiting our Law Firm’s website at www.visaserve.com.