E-2 Temporary Visas for Investors

Who will qualify for an E-2 visa?

The E-2 investor visa allows qualifying individuals to enter and work in the United States in order to partake in a substantial investment.  Investor visas are only available to individuals immigrating from certain countries, and applicants must meet investment requirements.  For some investors, the E-2 visa can provide the perfect opportunity to come to the U.S. to start or operate a business.  Foreign investors considering applying for an E-2 visa should contact an immigration law attorney today.

Qualifying for an E-2 Visa

It is important to note that the E-2 visa is a temporary nonimmigrant visa.  Those seeking more permanent entry to the U.S. will need to apply for a green card through investment and must invest $500,000 or more.  To qualify for an E-2 visa, you will need to meet the following requirements:

  • You must be a citizen of a country that has a treaty with the U.S.;
  • You must be coming to work in the U.S. for a company that you either own or is more than 50 percent owned by other nationals of your country of origin;
  • You must be an owner or key employee of the business;
  • You or the company must have made a substantial investment in the U.S. business;
  • The company must be engaged in commercial activities and meet the legal requirements for doing business in the state or region; and
  • You must intend to leave the U.S. when your business is complete.

Investors wishing to move with their families to the U.S. will need to pursue a derivative E-2 visa for their dependents.  Investors must carefully comply with the requirement for applying for an E-2 visa, which will include several applications, photographs, and an interview.  There is no set amount of money that an investor must invest to receive an E-2 visa.  Rather, your immigration lawyer will review your investment intentions to determine if you may qualify for this visa type. 

If you should have any questions or need more information about the ways in which U.S. Immigration and Nationality Laws may impact you, your family, your friends, or your colleagues, please contact the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Lawyers at the NPZ Law Group – VISASERVE – U.S. Immigration and Nationality Lawyers by e-mailing us at info@visaserve.com or by calling us at 201-670-0006 (x107).  You can also visit our Law Firm’s website at www.visaserve.com.