CBP reminds Travels to ‘Know Before You Go’

With many individuals planning to enjoy the upcoming spring and summer travel season, U.S. Customs and Border Protection is reminding travelers to be prepared by educating themselves on the rules and regulations relating to international travel. Additionally, if you have not yet applied for a U.S. passport or U.S. passport card, the U.S. Department of State will be holding “Passport Day in the USA” on March 10 at regional passport agencies nationwide. ( Passport Day ) 

Travel Requirements for U.S. Citizens

Individuals traveling abroad must have approved travel documents when returning home. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires U.S. and Canadian citizens, age 16 and older to present a valid, acceptable travel document, such as a passport, a U.S. passport card, a trusted traveler card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST/EXPRES), permanent resident card or an enhanced driver’s license that denotes both identity and citizenship when entering the U.S. by land or sea. U.S. and Canadian citizens under age 16 may present a birth certificate or alternative proof of citizenship when entering by land or sea. All travelers must have a passport book for international air travel.

A radio frequency identification (RFID) enabled travel document such as a U.S. passport card, border crossing card or permanent resident card issued after 2008, enhanced driver’s license/enhanced identification card or trusted traveler card expedites entry and makes crossing at a land border more efficient. There are more than 13 million RFID-enabled travel documents issued and Ready Lanes have been deployed to 20 land border crossing locations throughout the nation, specifically designated for travelers with RFID-enabled cards.

Travel Requirements for Visitors to the U.S.

All nationals or citizens of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries are required to have an approved Electronic System for Travel Authorization, or ESTA, prior to boarding a carrier to travel by air or sea to the U.S. under the VWP. ( ESTA ) ESTA applications may be submitted at any time prior to travel, and once approved, generally will be valid for up to two years or until the applicant’s passport expires, whichever comes first. Authorizations will be valid for multiple entries into the United States. CBP recommends ESTA applications be submitted as soon as an applicant begins making travel plans.

Trusted Traveler Programs

CBP recommends its Trusted Traveler Programs (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry, or FAST/EXPRES) as the most efficient way to cross the border from Mexico or Canada. (Trusted Traveler ) Trusted Traveler Programs allow for the use of expedited lanes in the land environment or kiosks at airports speeding travelers through the entry process. For more information or to apply for a Trusted Traveler Program, please visit the Travel section of the CBP website. ( Travel )

Small Vessel Reporting System

CBP now offers a new small vessel reporting system which all