Canadian Temporary Resident Permits

For one reason or another, you may be deemed inadmissible to Canada. This is often due to a past criminal record. However, if you need to travel to Canada, there may still be a way for you to do so. A Canadian Temporary Resident Permit may be your way to legally enter Canada when you may be otherwise inadmissible into the country.

What is a Canadian Temporary Resident Permit?

A foreign national may be inadmissible to Canada due to criminal, security, financial or medical reasons. In such situations, an individual may be eligible to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (“TRP”). The TRP authorizes a foreign national to enter and remain in Canada on a temporary basis as a visitor or a holder of a Temporary Resident Permit. An individual must comply with any conditions imposed under the regulations and with any requirements stated by the Officer, must leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay and may re-enter Canada only if their authorization provides for re-entry. 

Essentially, to be granted a TRP, the reviewing officer, must outweigh health or safety risks to Canadian society, as determined by Immigration or Border Services Officer.  The officer recommending the issuance of the TRP must detail why the applicant is otherwise inadmissible for entrance into Canada and circumstances allowing entry into Canada. Additionally, the officer’s rationale for recommending the applicant’s entrance into Canada must be clearly described.

If your TRP is approved, you must comply with certain conditions required by the TRP. For instance, you are not allowed to work or study while you are in Canada unless you have obtained a work or study permit. Also, you are banned from re-entering Canada without prior authorization. Last, but certainly not least, you must leave Canada when the period of stay authorized by the TRP has come to an end. The duration of stay in Canada on TRP will vary depending on the situation and can be terminated at any time, at the discretion of the Officer.

Trusted Immigration Attorneys

If you are looking to travel to Canada, Nachman, Phulwani, Zimovcak Law Group, P.C. can counsel you on your options for legally entering the country. If you think you may be inadmissible into the country, you may still have options. Contact us today.