A Look at the O-1B Artist Visa

How do I qualify for an O-1B visa?

O-1 visas offer workers in specialized fields, such as the arts, sciences, education, athletics, or business, an opportunity to legally work in the United States.  For individuals with extraordinary ability in the arts, motion pictures, or the television industry, the O-1B visa may provide just the avenue you need to pursue your American dream.  Our immigration lawyers at the NPZ Law Group, P.C. offer a look at the O-1B visa, how you might qualify, and the pros and cons of this visa type.  

O-1 Visa Basics 

An O visa allows immigrants to work legally within the U.S. for their visa sponsor.  If an immigrant here on this visa wants to change jobs, he or she must apply for a new visa. O visas are issued relatively quickly and can be granted for a maximum of three years, with the possibility of unlimited one-year extensions.  Those here on an O visa can travel in and out of the United States.  A spouse as well as unmarried children under the age of 21 can accompany the visa holder to the U.S., though they will not be permitted to accept employment. 

Qualifying for an O-1B Visa 

The O-1B visa is intended for individuals with extraordinary ability in the arts.  The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations define art broadly.  Art can include fine arts, visual arts, performing arts, and culinary arts.  Aliens eligible for an arts visa could include performers, as well as supporting personnel like choreographers, sound designers, conductors, makeup artists, and the like.

To be eligible for an O-1B visa, the alien must be coming to the U.S. to perform in their area of extraordinary ability.  He or she must be recognized as talented or prominent in their field.  Evidence of their recognition could include nomination for an international or national prize in their chosen field, such as a Grammy, Oscar, or Emmy.  Alternative evidence, to be submitted by the proposed employer, could include evidence the alien will perform services as a lead in a production or has achieved international recognition in magazines, journals, and the like.  Anyone interested in an O-1B visa should consult with an immigration lawyer to determine whether you might meet the qualifications for this visa type.  

If you should have any questions or need more information about the way that the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Laws may impact you, your family, your friends or your colleagues, please contact the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Lawyers at the NPZ Law Group – VISASERVE – U.S. Immigration and Nationality Lawyers by e-mail us at info@visaserve.com or by calling us at 201-670-0006 (x107) or by visiting our Law Firm’s website at www.visaserve.com.