Types of Employer Sponsored Green Cards

Each year, people from all of the world seek U.S. based employment opportunities. The U.S. is, in fact, one of the most welcoming countries for those skilled workers looking to join the country’s workforce. The skills and specialized knowledge immigrants contribute to the U.S. is invaluable. U.S. based employers recognize this and will often seek to sponsor immigrant workers to come and work in the country through an employer sponsored green card.

Types of Employer Sponsored Green Cards

There are several main types of employer sponsored green cards. The appropriate green card type will have its own set of required credentials, experience, skillset, and job duties. The green card types are organized into preference categories and may be subject to further subdivisions depending on the preference category.

For instance, the first preference category of employer sponsored green cards is the EB-1 green card. EB-1(a) are for immigrants of extraordinary ability. Such extraordinary ability must be demonstrated in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics at such a level that the person has achieved national or international acclaim.

The EB-1(b) subcategory is the outstanding professor and/or researcher green card and it requires demonstration of international recognition of outstanding achievements in a certain academic field. Furthermore, it is required that the immigrant have a minimum of 3 years’ experience teaching or researching in said academic field. The purpose of seeking a green card must be to enter the U.S. in order to pursue tenure or tenure track teaching, or a comparable research position, at a university or institution of higher education. Alternatively, the position may be with a private employer.

Then, there is the EB-1(c) multinational managers green card. In order to be eligible for this green card, you must have been employed outside the U.S. for a minimum of 1 year in the 3 years preceding the petition or the most recent lawful nonimmigrant admission if you are already working for the U.S. employer petitioning on your behalf. Furthermore, the petitioning U.S. employer must have been doing business for a minimum of 1 year and have a qualifying relationship with the entity you worked for outside the U.S. Lastly, the sponsoring U.S. employer must intend to employ you in either a managerial or executive capacity.

The second preference category, the Eb-2, reserved for the advanced degree green card requires you to have applied for a job that requires an advance degree which you must possess or possess its foreign equivalent. There are likely other requirements that will be specified on the labor certification as of the priority date that you will have to meet as well.

The third preference category, the EB-3, is for the skilled and professional workers green card. A skilled worker is considered to be someone working in a job that requires at least 2 years of training experience and is not temporary or seasonal in nature. The skilled worker has to meet education, training, or experience requirements set forth by the job opportunity although relevant post-secondary education may be counted as training. Professionals, on the other hand, are those with jobs that require at least a U.S. baccalaureate or foreign equivalent degree and are members of the professions.

Immigration Law Attorneys

If you have any questions about how these laws in the United States may impact you or your family, or want to access additional information about United States or Canadian immigration and nationality laws, please feel free to get in touch with the immigration and nationality lawyers at NPZ Law Group. You can send us an email at info@visaserve.com, or you can