The USCIS lockbox facilities have received a significant increase in filings in recent weeks. This increase, along with facility capacity restrictions necessary to protect the health and safety of the lockbox workforce during the COVID-19 pandemic, is causing significant delays for processing receipt notices. USCIS continues to work to minimize delays. Once USCIS processes your submission, it will review your package.
If you properly filed your form, USCIS will send a receipt notice to the mailing address provided on your form, normally within 30 days. If your submission is incomplete or improperly filed, USCIS will reject it per current procedures.
You can take steps to decrease the time it takes USCIS to process and send your receipt notice or find out the status of your case:
• File online (if this option is available for your form type) and receive immediate confirmation that USCIS have received your form instead of waiting for the mail;
• Create a free USCIS online account and check the status of your case from your mobile device, anywhere, anytime using USCIS case status online tool; or
• Complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, and clip it to the front of your form to request a text message and/or email when USCIS accept your form.
USCIS also encourage you to follow the tips below when submitting evidence with your application package:
• Review the form instructions and checklist of required initial evidence on the form webpage (if this option is available for your form);
• Submit single-sided photocopies of requested documents, unless the form instructions specifically state you must submit an original document;
• With the exception of passport photos, please copy photographs to an 8.5″ x 11″ sheet of paper instead of sending originals. Always send in original passport photos where requested;
• Submit only the required evidence and supporting documentation listed in the form instructions. If USCIS need additional information, they will request it from you; and
• If you cannot provide the required primary evidence when filing a form, review the form instructions for appropriate secondary evidence.