Temporary Resident Permit in Canada

A Temporary Resident Permit (TRP), not to be confused with a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), allows a person to suspend their inadmissibility to Canada in order to enter the country for a limited period of time. The inadmissibility is usually due to criminal history. If you have a justifiable reason to enter Canada, you may file a Temporary Resident Permit Canada Application. 

How Do You Get a Temporary Resident Permit in Canada?

TRP applicants are those that have been convicted of a criminal offense and:

  • It has been less than 5 years since the completion of the criminal sentence (i.e. jail time, probation, community service); or
  • It has been more than 5 years since completion of the criminal sentence and the applicant has not applied for or received a decision on an application for criminal rehabilitation.

In order to be eligible for a TRP, you must first have a compelling reason as to why you need to stay in Canada. This kind of reason may include:

  • Work travel
  • Business conference
  • Business networking event
  • Building economic relationships with Canadian companies and clients
  • Visiting a family member in poor health
  • A family event such as a wedding or a funeral

In your TRP application, explain your compelling reason with as clearly as possible and be specific. You must demonstrate that your reason for staying in Canada outweighs the potential risk you pose to the health and safety of Canadian citizens.

There is also a TRP application fee. You must pay a fee of $200 Canadian dollars. This fee goes to covering the costs associated with processing your TRP application. It is nonrefundable even if your TRP application is denied.

While the TRP may only grant you entry into the country for a limited time period (3 years is the maximum amount of time allowed for by a TRP), the amount of time you are allowed to stay in Canada will be based on your reasons for travel. The Canadian immigration officer or border agent in charge of processes your application will decide on the duration of your TRP. 

Additionally, please be aware that a TRP is only a means for temporary visitation. It cannot be used as a pathway to permanent Canadian immigration. 

If you are granted a TRP, you must be fully compliant with the conditions of the TRP. You are not permitted to work or study with a TRP. You cannot re-enter Canada unless you have prior authorization. You must leave the country by the time your TRP expires. Once you leave Canada, your permit is void (again, unless you have received specific authorization to leave and re-enter the country).

An individual who is found eligible for TRP can also apply for criminal rehabilitation, a permanent way to overcome the ground of inadmissibility. Please follow us to read more on criminal rehabilitation. 

Helping You Legally Enter Canada

Nachman, Phulwani, Zimovcak Law Group, P.C. knows that there are many reasons a person would need to travel to Canada, but may face restrictions due to complications regarding a criminal history. We are here to help. That is why our clients express full satisfaction with the service they receive. For all of your immigration questions, we are here to help. Contact us today.