How to Immigrate to Canada – Consider Family sponsorship

Your relatives can live, study and work in Canada if they become permanent residents.

Who is eligible to sponsor their spouse, partner or child?

• You are at least 18 years old.

• You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.

• If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to sponsor become permanent residents.

• You cannot sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada.

• You are able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability.

• You can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor.

Who cannot sponsor their spouse, partner or child?

Anyone not meeting above requirements are not eligible to apply for their spouse, partner or child.

You may not be eligible to sponsor your spouse or partner, if you:

• were sponsored by a spouse or partner and you became a permanent resident less than 5 years ago; or

• are still financially responsible for a previous spouse or partner that you sponsored. This means you’re still bound by the 3-year undertaking to take care of this person.

You may not be eligible to sponsor your spouse, partner or child, if:

• you have already applied to sponsor the spouse, parent or child you are currently seeking to sponsor and a decision on that application hasn’t been made;

• are in jail, prison, or a penitentiary;

• didn’t pay back an immigration loan, a performance bond or court-ordered family support payments such as alimony or child support (not applicable if you live in Quebec);

• didn’t give the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor someone else in the past (not applicable if you live in Quebec);

• declared bankruptcy and are not discharged (not applicable if you live in Quebec);

• receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability;

• you were convicted of attempting, threatening to commit or committing a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence inside or outside Canada;

• cannot legally stay in Canada and must leave the country because you received a Removal Order.

Who you can sponsor?

You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent children.

Your spouse can be either sex and must be legally married to you and at least 18 years old.

Your common law partner is not legally married to you, either sex, at least 18 years old, and have been living together for at least 12 consecutive months without any long breaks.

Your conjugal partner is:

• is not legally married to you or in a common-law relationship with you;

• can be either sex;

• is at least 18 years old;

• has been in a relationship with you for at least 1 year;

• lives outside Canada;

• cannot live with you in their country of residence or marry you because of significant legal and immigration reasons such as:

 their marital status (for example, they’re still married to someone else in a country where divorce isn’t possible)

 their sexual orientation (for example, you are in a same-sex relationship, and same-sex relationships are not accepted, or same-sex marriage is illegal where they live),

 persecution (for example, your relationship is between different religious groups which is not accepted and they may be punished legally or socially)

Your dependent children are under the age of 22 years old and are not married.

Children 22 years or older qualify as dependent children if they are unable to financially support themselves due to mental or phy