The Home Child Care Provider Pilot and the Home Support Worker Pilot are 5-year pilot programs that allow qualified caregivers and their family members come to Canada with the goal of becoming permanent residents.

If you have been offered a job in Canada as a caregiver or have experience working in Canada as a caregiver, you may be able to apply for permanent residence through one of these pilots.

The application process will be different depending on your situation and how much qualifying work experience you have.

Qualifying work experience means you have worked full-time in one of these National Occupational Classification (“NOC”) jobs: Home Child Care Provider – NOC 4411 (experience as a foster parent does not count) or Home Support Worker – NOC 4412 (experience as a housekeeper does not count).

If you do not have any qualifying work experience or have experience but less than 24 months, you can apply for permanent residence through the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot as long as you meet the other eligibility requirements.

If you already have 24 months of qualifying work experience in Canada, you and your family members may be eligible to apply for permanent residence through the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot. You need to include sufficient documents supporting you have qualifying work experience.

Eligibility requirements: You may be eligible to apply for the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot if you meet following criteria:

• Genuine and valid job offer from a Canadian employer (outside the province of Quebec): The job offer must be made using Offer of Employment (IMM 5983); must be full-time, which means at least 30 hours of paid work each week.

• Ability to do work: You are able to do work described in the NOC job description (lead statement) for Home Child Care Provider (NOC 4411) and Home Support Worker (NOC 4412).

• Language levels: You need to take language test to meet minimum language skills, which is CLB 5 in English or NLCL 5 in French for all four language skills – reading, writing, listening and speaking.

• Education: You must have completed 1 (one) year post-secondary education credential in Canada or foreign equivalency to show your education meets Canadian post-secondary education credential of at least one (1) year.

• Admissible to Canada: You are not inadmissible to Canada under Canada’s Immigration laws. You may be inadmissible due to security reasons, human or international rights violations, driving under influence of drugs or alcohol, medical reasons, financial reasons, misrepresentation and more.

• Outside province of Quebec: You plan to live outside the province of Quebec as a permanent resident.

Through these pilots, you will get an open work permit to come to Canada and work temporarily. This work permit is occupation restricted, does not need a LMIA and allows you to get work experience you need to be eligible for permanent residence.
If you are currently working in Canada as a Caregiver, you may be eligible to extend your work permit through Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP). The employer must obtain positive LMIA before initiating extension of work permit.

At NPZ, our U.S. and Canadian Immigration Law Specialists seek to assist clients with regard to employment and family immigration issues. If you or your friends or family should have any questions, please feel free to contact us at info@visaserve.com or you can call our offices at 201-670-0006 (x100). We look forward to being able to assist you.