scales of justice representing u visa for people who are victims of a crime

Green Card Journey: Mastering U Visa Adjustments

The U Visa serves as a beacon of hope for victims of crime in the United States, offering them a path to safety, security, and ultimately, an opportunity to become permanent residents. For those fortunate enough to have their U Visa approved, the next logical step is to consider the process of adjusting their status to that of a lawful permanent resident, commonly known as obtaining a Green Card. This transition is not only a significant milestone in one’s immigration journey but also opens the door for derivative beneficiaries, such as spouses, to adjust their status as well.

Understanding the Adjustment Process

Once your U Visa has been approved, a critical timeline begins. To be eligible for adjustment of status to a lawful permanent resident, U Visa holders must have maintained their status for a minimum of three years. This period is essential for demonstrating continuous physical presence in the U.S., a prerequisite for the adjustment process.

Evidence of your continuous presence can include tax transcripts, pay slips, and utility bills, showcasing your life and activities in the U.S. during this time. However, eligibility extends beyond mere presence; applicants must also prove they are not inadmissible for reasons such as participation in Nazi persecution or genocide, and that they have not refused to assist law enforcement since applying for their U Visa.

Collaboration with Law Enforcement

A unique aspect of the U Visa is its requirement for applicants to assist law enforcement. This ongoing cooperation must be documented and submitted as part of your adjustment application. Given that U Visa processing times can extend over several years, maintaining this cooperation is crucial. In cases where obtaining a new certification from law enforcement is challenging, an affidavit stating your attempts and willingness to assist may suffice.

Justifying Your Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of status is a discretionary decision made by immigration authorities. Factors such as the length of your stay in the U.S., family ties, and any hardships that would ensue from denial are all taken into account. It’s vital to understand that certain actions, including illegal drug use, failure to pay taxes, or illegal voting, can negatively impact your application. Therefore, consulting with an immigration attorney to review your case is strongly recommended.

Spousal Adjustment

If your spouse was granted derivative status alongside your U Visa, they too are eligible to apply for a Green Card after the three-year period. For spouses who did not have derivative status initially, proving that separation would cause extreme hardship is necessary to qualify for adjustment.

The Importance of Timeliness

Given the discretionary nature of the adjustment of status, applying as soon as you’re eligible is crucial. This means being vigilant about your U Visa’s expiration date and applying for an extension if needed to avoid jeopardizing your chance for a Green Card.

Transitioning from a U Visa to a Green Card is a complex process, filled with specific requirements and timelines. However, it represents a significant step towards stability and permanence in the U.S. for victims of crime. By understanding the intricacies of the process and seeking the right legal guidance, you can navigate this journey successfully.

Remember, the road to U.S. or Canadian immigration is long and challenging, but with the right advocate by your side, such as the NPZ Law Group, you’re not alone. For further assistance, visit or call them today.

Contact Our Experienced Immigration Lawyers At NPZ Law Group

If you or someone you know has been a victim of a crime and is seeking legal status in the United States, contact us today. Let us help you take the next step towards safety, justice, and a new beginning. If you or your family members have any questions about how immigration and nationality laws in the United States may affect you, or if you want to access additional information about immigration and nationality laws in the United States or Canada, please do not hesitate to contact the immigration and nationality lawyers at NPZ Law Group. You can reach us by emailing or by calling us at 201-670-0006 extension 104. We also invite you to visit our website at for more information.