The Diversity Lottery provides immigration visas/green cards to individuals who are under-represented in the overall mix of immigrants coming to the United States. Each year several million people apply for a visa under this program. Only the winners in the lottery are notified.
Diversity Lottery Lawyer
Also known as the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, this program provides up to 50,000 immigrant visas annually to people from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States. Visas are awarded through a randomized lottery system.
Diversity Lottery Eligibility Requirements
People born in countries that send the most immigrants to the United States are not eligible to apply for the Diversity Lottery Visa Program. Remember that this is a lottery and you should not abandon other immigration options if you apply for the Lottery Program. The requirements are set forth below.
- DEPARTMENT OF STATE (DOS) POSTS ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING THE 2019 LOTTERY (10/19/2017)
- Ecuador Eligible for DV-2018 (10/10/2016)
- NACHMAN PHULWANI ZIMOVCAK (NPZ) LAW GROUP ECHOS THE DEPERTMENT OF STATE ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT THE 2018 VISA LOTTERY. WE HAVE SAID IN THE PAST . . . “IF YOU ARE NOT IN IT, YOU CANNOT WIN IT! (9/23/2016)
- THE 2017 DIVERSITY IMMIGRANT VISA PROGRAM (DV-2017) (PDF version)
- Diversity Visa Program: DV-2015 Instructions
- DOS Instructions for the 2015 Diversity Immigrant Visa Program (PDF)
- Diversity Visa – 2014 Entry Instructions
- USCIS Policy Memo on Acceptance of Diverisy Visa-Based I-485s: This August 9, 2013 USCIS policy memo confirms that the listing of the advance notification of Diversity Visa (DV) availability in the Visa Bulletin enables the filing of DV adjustment applications with DV numbers ranked below the specified cut-off number, even though a visa is not yet available.
Contact Our Diversity Lottery Lawyer
For any questions about the diversity visa lottery program, please contact our experienced immigration lawyers. We can advise you on the program and eligibility requirements.