COVID-19 Resources
Call today to schedule a consultation
Local 201-670-0006 Toll Free 866-599-3625
  Make a Payment 
<a href="">Click Here To Load This Form</a>

On the Road to the Green Card

Nonimmigrant visas are temporary visas. Generally, an individual coming to the United States who seeks a nonimmigrant visa must demonstrate "nonimmigrant intent" or the intent to depart from the United States upon the expiration of the nonimmigrant visa. (However, since the 1990 amendments to the Immigration and Naturalization Act, the USCIS, and more slowly the U.S. Department of State, have come to accept the concept of "dual intent," which recognizes that certain nonimmigrant visa holders may intend to seek immigrant status.) Some nonimmigrant visas are for work, some are for travel and some are for particular forms of study, among other things.

Generally, nonimmigrant visas are easier to obtain than immigrant visas and, with the exception of the 65,000 cap on H-1B nonimmigrant visas for each fiscal year since the implementation of the cap (as more fully discussed in other sections of this guide), there are few numerical limitations on the number of nonimmigrant visas.

Nonimmigrant visas are categorized according to the letters of the alphabet. To date, there are nonimmigrant visas assigned from the letters A through S.

Each nonimmigrant visa has an associated duration. Some nonimmigrant visas are valid for the duration that the foreign national remains in status or while he/she performs the associated service, or task, that coincides with the particular nonimmigrant visa obtained. For example, upon admission the United States, an F-1 nonimmigrant student visa is granted for "D/S" which is the designation that the foreign nationals stay in the U.S. is approved for the duration of the status or, in other words, for the time that the student continues to engage in his/her full-time course of study. Other nonimmigrant visas that are granted for D/S are the J, I and certain diplomatic and governmental visas, more fully discussed below.

As opposed to nonimmigrant visas, immigrant visas, or lawful permanent residence status, is what is commonly referred to as a "Green Card" (which is actually not green). Lawful permanent residence refers to the status accorded to an individual who has an intention to permanently live and reside in the United States.

There are generally two (2) ways to obtain lawful permanent residence in the United States. A foreign national may obtain lawful permanent residence through a position of employment (employment-based immigration), through his/her relationship to a family member who is either a lawful permanent resident or a U.S. citizen (family-based immigration). In addition to the foregoing, lawful permanent residence may be obtained in several other categories, including, but not limited to: (1) asylum; (2) the Diversity Lottery program; and (3) Cancellation of Removal.

An immigrant or nonimmigrant visa, granted by the U.S. Consular Official at a U.S. Consulate Office in a foreign country, is permission for the foreign national to enter the United States from abroad. Even though the visa may have been granted by a U.S. Consulate Official, the foreign national must still be inspected by a representative of the US Citizenship and Immigration Service ("USCIS") upon entry at one of the ports-of-entry in the United States.

A visa stamp in the passport of the foreign national made by a U.S. Consulate Official indicates that the CONOFF was satisfied, at the time of the issuance of the visa, that (i) the foreign national was coming to the United States for an intended purpose; and (ii) that the foreign national was not excludable from the United States under any of the specific grounds of exclusion under the Immigration and Nationality Act (which are set forth in Title 8 of the United States Code).

National in scope, the business immigration law firm of NPZ Law Group represents clients from throughout the United States and around world. Regionally, our attorneys remain committed to serving the immigration needs of businesses in the Tri-state area and the Hudson Valley, including residents of Ridgewood, Newark, and Jersey City, Burlington County, Bergen County, Camden County, Cumberland County, Essex County, Hudson County, Mercer County, Middlesex County, Monmouth County, Morris County, Passaic County, Salem County, Union County, northern New Jersey, southern New Jersey, central New Jersey, NJ; New York City, Rockland County, Orange County, Westchester County, Kings County, Sullivan County, Ulster County, New York, NY; Chicago, Illinois, IL; and Toronto and Montreal, Canada. Our nationwide practice focused on quality legal representation and personal service.

© 2020 NPZ Law Group | Disclaimer
487 Goffle Road , Ridgewood, NJ 07450
| Phone: 866-599-3625

About | Attorneys | Types of Visas | Resources | Testimonials | Types of Immigration Law | Services

Law Firm Website Design by
Amicus Creative