Veronique Malka, BCL, LLB
Foreign Legal Consultant
Ridgewood, New Jersey
VERONIQUE MALKA, is the only known immigration lawyer in the U.S.A. who dedicates her practice to Canadian immigration. She is a Canadian attorney from Ontario, Canada, with a license of Foreign Legal Consultant from the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Veronique is a native of Montreal, Quebec. She obtained a Bachelor of Civil Law (B.C.L.) and a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) at McGill University in 1993. She clerked at the Quebec Court of Appeal and worked as a researcher for the Canadian Jewish Congress on the Supreme Court issue of prosecution of Nazi war criminals. She also worked as law student in London, England.
After being called to the Bar in Ontario in 1995, Veronique worked for over a decade in the fields of family law and immigration, in Toronto. She received special training at the Canadian Human Rights Commission and served for several years as Reconsideration Officer for the Ontario Human Rights Commission.
In 2005, Veronique moved to the U.S.A. and helped develop our global immigration platform by establishing a Canadian Immigration Division at NPZ Law Groups. Originally set up to assist our firm’s corporate clients with cross-border issues into Canada, the Canadian Division has seen great success from clients seeking out a vast array of Canadian immigration services. Companies of all sizes, ranging Fortune 500 to sole proprietorships, consult Veronique and her Canadian team to find the quickest and most economical solutions to manage their cross-border employment issues. Veronique is known for her keen legal instincts and quick understanding of people’s needs. She thinks outside the box, which has led her to this unique position of being a Canadian lawyer with a practice outside of Canada.
In addition to Canadian immigration, Veronique handles international cases of children abducted under the Hague Convention. She appears on TV and radio in Canada and the U.S.A. She writes and blogs regularly on key global topics of mobility and international child abductions.
Veronique works out of our Ridgewood and New York City offices, and can meet clients on short notice in Montreal and Toronto. She speaks English, French and Spanish fluently. She shares her life with her husband and children in New Jersey, while enjoying hobbies of painting, writing and life coaching for stepfamilies.
Areas of Practice
- Canadian Corporate and Individual Immigration
- Naturalization & Citizenship
- Temporary Work and Student Permits for Canada
- Hague Convention Litigation
- Canadian Passport Renewals
- Ontario, 1995
- Canada, 1995
- New Jersey, 2006
- McGill University, Faculty of Law, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Law Review: McGill University Law Review, 1988 - 1989
- McGill University, Faculty of Law, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- McGill University - Faculty of Arts, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Melding Lawyering, Parenting, The Lawyer’s Weekly, Oct. 15, 2010
- Subject of Story about Balancing Motherhood and Career, The Lawyers Weekly, January 22, 2010
- Lawyers without Borders: Foreign Legal Consultants, Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, Oct. 1, 2007
- How Canadian Lawyers can practice in the U.S.A., Article written in French for the Ontario Lawyers Gazette, Winter, 2006
- Ou Sont Mes Enfants?, Article about International Child Abductions, Ontario Lawyers Gazette, , Fall, 2001
- Where are My Children - The Workings and Pitfalls of the Hague Convention, ILW.com, June 27, 2006
- Private Individuals - Immigration and Family Law Matters
- Presentation, National TV Asia, ASIA STAR BROADCASTING, Canadian Immigration, 2011
- Presenter, Topic of International Mobility of Law Practice, ONLINE BAR ASSOCIATION CONFERENCE Miami, Florida, 2011
- Presenter, Educational course for Lawyers in USA, feature: Canadian immigration law, INSTITUTE OF CONTINUING LEGAL EDUCATION (ICLE) Law Centre, New Brunswick, New Jersey, 2009
- Presenter, Educational Course for Lawyers in USA, Featuring Canadian Immigration Law, INSTITUTE OF CONTINUING LEGAL EDUCATION (ICLE) Seaton Hall law school, Newark, New Jersey, 2008
- Panelist, Immigration and Employer Compliance: A New Era for Employer Liability, LORMAN EDUCATION SERVICES, 2008
- Guest Speaker, "What's Shaking North of the Border?", LORMAN EDUCATION SERVICES Tudor Hotel, New York, 2007
Honors and Awards
- Award of Merit in Recognition of Outstanding Work in the Protection of Children by National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, in Washington, D.C., 2008
- Ontario Human Right Commission, Toronto, Ontario External Reconsideration Officer appointed to hear and adjudicate human rights complaints, 1999
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Upper Canada, 1995 - Present
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Women Lawyers Alliance -- NY and NJ Chapter, Chair
- Canadian American Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), Canada Chapter
Past Employment Positions
- Silber & Fridman, Foreign Attorney, 2003 - 2005
- Legal Aid Ontario, Staff Lawyer, 1999 - 2002
Pro Bono Activities
- Reseau des femmes du sud de l'Ontario - Assistance to and Advocacy for French-Speaking Women Immigrating to Ontario, Canada, 1997 - 2002
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children-Representation of clients in Hague Convention abduction proceedings between Canada and USA
- Advice and Representation in Hague Convention Cases
- Founder and Co-chair of Survivetheblend.com: Life Coaching for Stepfamilies
- Legal Translation work (English, French, Spanish)
National in scope, the business immigration law firm of NPZ Law Group represents clients from throughout the United States and around world. Regionally, our attorneys remain committed to serving the immigration needs of businesses in the Tri-state area and the Hudson Valley, including residents of Ridgewood, Newark, and Jersey City, Burlington County, Bergen County, Camden County, Cumberland County, Essex County, Hudson County, Mercer County, Middlesex County, Monmouth County, Morris County, Passaic County, Salem County, Union County, northern New Jersey, southern New Jersey, central New Jersey, NJ; New York City, Rockland County, Orange County, Westchester County, Kings County, Sullivan County, Ulster County, New York, NY; Chicago, Illinois, IL; and Toronto and Montreal, Canada. Our nationwide practice focused on quality legal representation and personal service.